Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Museum Visit

A.)Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
   
Tauba Auerbach (American, born 1981). Untitled (Fold), 2012. Acrylic paint on canvas on
wooden stretcher, 64 x 48 inches (162.6 x 121.9 cm)

I chose this artwork because as I walked towards it I was so tempted to reach out my hand and
touch it. The way the artist made this artwork look 3 dimensional is quite remarkable.  I looked at
the artwork from many angles to make sure my eyes really weren’t deceiving me.  This one left
an impression on me because of how deceiving it was, which is what drew me into it.  

Kim Tschang-Yeul (Korean, born 1929).Waterdrops No. 26, 1977. Oil on canvas. Support: 36 1/4  
x 28 5/8 inches (92.075 x 72.7075 cm) 

This artwork fascinating me because of all the little details in it.  It may look simple, but the
realistic drops on the canvas took time and such precision to get them to look so real.  What drew
me to this one was the way the artist fools your eye.  If I didn’t know better I would have thought
this was a wet piece of canvas. I also was drawn to it because how perfect each little waterdrop is. 
Not one was an afterthought, they were all placed and created  so perfectly. The piece altogether
is very well balanced.  

B.)  Which artworks do I feel connected with? Why?




On Left: 
Robert Swain (American, born 1940). Untitled #901, 1975Acrylic on canvas, support with       hangers and/or oz-clip hardware: 108 x 108 x 1 5/8 inches (274.32 x 274.32 x 4.13 cm); support: 108 x 108 inches (274.32 x 274.32 cm) 

On Right: 
Piero Dorazio (Italian, 1927-2005). A Peaceful Solution, 1976-1977oil on canvas.
support: 99 x 87 inches (251.46 x 220.98 cm)

I have a connection with these two pieces because they are very similar to what I like to create in my own artwork.  Most of my art is made with geometric shapes, sometimes bright color, and a lot of line work, which both of these pieces have.  I also like to create whole pieces that don’t look like much until you get close to them, which is exactly what Piero Dorazio’s artwork does.  From far away it doesn’t seem like much more than a lot of color, but when you get close up, it is made up of so many different colored lines. I loved looking at this piece and just imaged how the artist felt when creating it.  The piece by Robert Swain is just as intriguing because of how perfect the line work is.  Each square is so well thought out and painted so equally.  I feel connected to this piece cause when it comes to my own artwork, I get a little OCD, so this work to me is so satisfying.  

C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?


Gunther Uecker (German, born 1930). Overgrowth, 1962. Nails and canvas over wood. 43 1/2 x
42 1/2 x 4 inches (110.49 x 110.49 x 10.16 cm)

I would like to know more about this piece because of how organic the shape is that the nails
create.  Was the artist picturing the image they wanted to create or were they just placing them
and see what they came up with.  As I looked at it, I tried to think of a story behind it.  I guess I
would just like to know the artists thoughts while creating this piece.


Roy Lichtenstein (American 1923-1997). Head - Red and Yellow, 1962.  Oil on canvas.  Support:
48 x 48 inches (121.92 x 121.92 cm); framed: 49 1/8 x 49 1/8 x 2 ¼ inches (124.78 x 124.78 x
5.72 cm)

Pop art is one of my favorite types of artwork, and is one I would like to explore more with my
art.  With these pieces I always wonder what the characters story is.  Do they have a story?  Is the
image based on a real person, or did they create someone to fit a story? Or is there no story at all?
I love how much detail goes in to creating the pop artworks, and hope to learn more about them.  

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed looking at the art works you visited. i really liked your description of every picture they were very detailed and i seemed like i was in an art gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with David's comment, your small descriptions of how you felt approaching each piece made me feel as if I was walking through the museum myself. I was happy to see that you had chosen different artworks than me so I could see how others appreciate all kinds of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed this artwork and your critique as well. I took pictures of a lot of these pieces as well. I enjoyed the layout of your blog overall as well! It was very straightforward and easy to navigate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the art work you picked very much. They all express so much and the way you discribed all of them was very well thought out. I did not pick the same photo's but I really enjoyed looking at those.

    ReplyDelete

Reflections

1.      What were you expectations for this course and where they met? I hoped to learn from other and how they view the art world.    I ...