Sunday, December 9, 2018

Project 4

Creating an Art Exhibition

For this project I wanted to be unique and find a topic that isn't usually seen too much in art galleries. When I think about what I'll see in an art gallery, I think of huge paintings and sculptures.  I think it also focuses solely on the theme of the artworks and not about the artists.  For this project I wanted to showcase a specific artist and show the artwork she created over the course of a year.

Lorraine Loots is an artist from South Africa who create mini artworks.  All her artworks are around 30 mm x 30 mm.  They are very small, but so magnificent.  For a year of her life, Lorraine Loots, created 1 artwork a day and each was about her home home country of South Africa.  In my mind it was her way of showing what she believed to be important in her home country, and the places she wanted to show off.  In these pieces she illustrated animals, scenic views, home and all kinds of things that to her symbolized South African culture.  I think it's important  to showcase this collection of artworks to show that even the tiniest art can have so much meaning.

For this exhibition I only showcased 12 of her artworks, one from each month of the year she created them.  In total there are 365 artworks.  If I were to create this exhibition in real life, I would like to use all of them, and showcase them in a very large room.  But in lieu of time and space on powerpoint, I showed 12.  In the beginning of the exhibition I put a short explanation of the show, just so people understood what it was all about then proceeded to show the artworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections

1.      What were you expectations for this course and where they met? I hoped to learn from other and how they view the art world.    I ...